Many families like to have a technology free time especially around the dinner table, but there have been times that we’ve brought our devices to the table .  And though it goes against what most people say, let me share why and how it has worked out.

But first, I’d like to make some provisos:

• Our children are teens/adults
  • We have already established the habit of talking and engaging with each other at this time of the day – it is a priority to all of us
  • We don’t engage with anyone who is not in the room (no social media)
  • We only use our device if it supports or enhances what we are doing as a group

This last point is significant.

We only use our digital technology
if it supports or enhances what we are doing as a group.

If we bring our mobile device to the dinner table we have guidelines - and a purpose.

Technology used this way is a tool – it is much like bringing a book to the table, an article we have snipped from a newspaper or a letter we received in the mail.  All of these things, done in the day, would be seen as bringing something to share – information just looks different today.

We have used technology at the table to:

• Read aloud an article, or a snippet from a book we are reading, that we wish to discuss together
  • Find information on a topic we are talking about but don’t really know much about (a specific Bible verse, a social situation, current events, or general knowledge)
  • See a map in connection with something we are talking about
  • Pick a topic to talk about (Google search toastmaster topics)
  • Share photos we have taken, this often means laughing together
  • Brainstorm ideas, problem solving (Pinterest is a favourite for this)
  • Update our calendars and plan family time (we all have digital calendars now)
  • Learn from each other
  • Check out movie reviews for movies and discuss the pros and cons of seeing it

There have been a few times that we have also played games together – The Rory Story Cubes app was a lot of fun.  This article talks about this idea of bringing devices to the table, and playing a word game.  I’ve earmarked this for a future family night!  The standout to me in reading this article was that though the photo looks like everyone is focused on their device, the reality is there’s a lot of verbal play going on, and I know from our own family experiences, a lot of fun memories were being made.

Here’s another list of 5 app-games that you can use to connect with your family – maybe around the dinner table, maybe not.

As a society, we have been in this place with technology before.  Televisions, Videos, DVDs – have all challenged family times, and we have learnt to use it to a level where we feel it is beneficial.  To be honest, I’d love to know what people thought the impact of books would have on the family when they first became more available. Somewhere in my internet reading I have seen an old photo of everyone on the train reading the newspaper and not seeing the people around them; we think technology has brought this social phenomenon but really, it has been around for a long time!

There are two guidelines we have in our home

1. At no time is any screen interaction (or book, magazine or newspaper) more important than a person in the same room. This doesn’t mean we don’t engage with technology when there is another person in the room, but it does mean we are available to the other person, and the minimum is courtesy.
  2. As parents of the house, we set the boundaries and expectations. The best way to do this is to be aware of the context and don’t make solid never to be changed rules.  Family life changes and grows.  New things come into our lives all the time.  We need to be flexible, but always have our eyes on our purpose and the best way to achieve those purposes.

So if your kids are older this may be a new dimension you can bring into your family life.  We don’t do it every night, neither would I recommend that the devices are used every night.  But it is an option we have and do use.

[Tweet “Surprise your kids: ask them to bring their device to the table and shake up family time!”]

Do you need help in your Family?

Hi! I’m Belinda

About Me

Belinda and her husband, Peter, live in the far north-west of Australia on a small farm. They have four adult children whom they homeschooled from prep-year 12. Over this time Belinda has taught and supported women both face to face and online. Her heart is to encourage families to be intentional, relational and heart focused in all areas of family living. She continues to do this in her new season of life – as her kids leave home one by one leaving her with more time.

Certified Life Coach

Over to you:

How have you made the best of technology in your family?

26 Comments

1. Kela Nellums (@Kela__Nellums)

This is so great and we’ve used devices at our dinner table for those reasons also! Especially when we’re sharing photos….or taking photos! LOL

• Belinda Letchford

Hi Kela – nice to hear from you. Oh yes – taking photos!!! We probably take way too many of t hose. LOL. I think this idea is really important for families, especially with older kids, to move on and see the issue of technology objectively.

2. Kanina

Fantastic article.
    Thanks B

3. Bonnie Lyn Smith

I really appreciate this article! I think your boundaries are so healthy. We can’t fight technology, but we can be creative to use it for good. I have teens and tweens, and I don’t bring it to the table often, but when we do, it is engaging among all of us. And yes, so good that it never becomes more important than those in the room. Loved this: “The key with any technology in our family – be it a book (yes, a book!), TV, DVD, Computer games, mobile devices – is that we have to be in control of it, and not let it dictate our family life.” Well done! Pinning, tweeting, and sharing! Coming to you from #EspressosofFaith via #CoffeeandConversation!

4. Rebecca

Great spin on using technology to bring the family closer instead of each person being in their own worl. Thanks for sharing. Visiting from Fellowship Friday.

• Belinda Letchford

Thanks for dropping by Rebecca. Yes, we must use what we have in our hand!

5. sixlittlehearts

I love to research a topic on my phone on occasion too – I like the handy facts from the Google Gods!

• Belinda Letchford

Yesterday as someone quickly checked a definition for a word that had come up in conversation, I thought how much our world has changed with information so readily at our fingers. Thanks for dropping by – have a good week!

6. Kylie Purtell - A Study in Contradictions

Thanks for sharing this. I’ve often wondered what it’s like for parents of older children when it comes to devices, as my girls are only 2 and 3 so I am pretty much ruler when it comes to devices and they have no choice. My biggest challenge is trying to model responsible use to them and getting my husband on the same page. He is a shocker with his bloody online games that he plays on his mobile, I almost have to set down some rules for him!

• Belinda Letchford

Haha Kylie – I know the feeling. Pete often has business calls at dinner time and it can be frustrating but something we’ve had to come to terms with.

7. Ness

Interesting idea. My boys would probably want to talk about sport and gaming, but as long as we’re sitting together sharing a meal, I guess that would be okay.

• Belinda Letchford

I guess everyone has their hobbies / hobby-horses so it is really about learning how to let everyone share and be involved in the conversation – and that includes mum!! Thanks for dropping by.

8. toniazemek

Love your comment about books and folk reading newspapers….the more we change, the more we stay the same hey? Lovely to discover your blog via Multitasking Mummy today. Great, thought-provoking post.

• Belinda Letchford

yes, we are just recycled for the next generation!! LOL. I always chuckle when my teens think they have discovered something new – and it is pretty much the same as 20 years ago!

9. Elisha

I like your way of thinking as I bet it creates the littlest of arguments with teens. I like to apply the same principles to my teaching as well. Technology is here to stay so we may as well make the most of it in the best positive light we can. I think I need to do better with switching off more when I’m with the kids though. Set a better example so ill follow some of those tips. Thanks

• Belinda Letchford

Thanks for leaving a comment. Like I said, we don’t do this all the time, but when it is useful and purposeful – it is a great addition to our family time. I think a big key for dealing with teens is to enter their world with some positives rather than always critical.

10. Mrs Tubbs

Clever way of setting boundaries whilst acknowledging the new normal. Definitely pinching this, thank you

• Belinda Letchford

I like that – the new normal. Technology certainly falls into that definition. thanks.

11. Mumma McD

These are actually great guidelines and I can see how they’d work for a family with okder kids (mine are 2 and 3 – we’re not quite ready haha!!).
    #TeamMM

12. Forever Joyful

I love this! I am a big fan of encouraging kids to use electronics to create (digital art, photos, programming) versus consume (movies, etc.). It sounds like you use yours to build relationships. Perfect!

• Belinda Letchford

Yes I love the creativity that digital technology is giving our kids. It has been an important part of our education though there is always so much more to learn. Thanks for dropping by and I hope you continue to enjoy what you read here.

13. Dawn Boyer

I appreciate the heart of this message which echoes 1 Thes 5:21, ‘Take the good part’ ( and my add on) and leave the bad out. I think we need to be able to allow our kids to see us open and available to the good things that progress brings while openly recognizing how we can let too much be destructive. I enjoyed this, thank you!
    Blessings,
    Dawn

• Belinda Letchford

Thanks Dawn – that is a great verse for us parents to think on isn’t it.

14. Elizabeth

Hi! Visiting from Mom’s Morning Coffee! This is a great article and I appreciated your perspective. I run two businesses from home, and I’m afraid that I’m the one often messaging someone at the dinner table these days! LOL! I also have mostly teens and adults these days, so there are a lot of devices being used. I liked your guidelines and ideas for using technology to increase engagement! Thanks for sharing! 😉

15. Sammy

I really liked that you specified the technology could be used if it contributed to the conversations/family time. Especially because shutting the door on technology is something I see a lot of parents doing, instead of learning from their children/younger family members and embracing it, too. Love this post.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Mom 2 Mom Monday Link-Up #42 - My Joy-Filled Life - […] Why We Bring Our Devices to the Dinner Table from Live Life with Your […]
  2. Coffee and Conversation Link Party #50 - - […] at Live Life With Your Kids, piqued my curiosity and helped me consider “tech at the table” in a different […]

Let me know your thoughts...

Surprise your kids and get them to bring their device to the table - read how this worked out for us.
We we bring our mobile devices to the dinner table
Individual Education Planning Worksheets - brainstorming every area of your child's life.

Get your Planning Worksheets

I will email you the download link so you can start looking at all the different spheres of your child's life before you make any curriculum choices.

The download link is on it's way.

An Alternative to Chocolate

An Alternative to Chocolate

Not that I have anything against chocolate - but these jelly beans can help your kids share the message of Jesus, his love, death and resurrection at Easter time.

The download link is on it's way.

Parent Guide: How to make your Family Bible Study Really Work

Family Bible Study is Tricky with all the Different Ages

But there is a way to make this a rich learning and bonding family time.  This Guide includes tips, planning worksheet, and discussion prompts.

Thanks for being here! The download link is on it's way.

Download yourCharacter Certificates

Though true character is driven by internal motivation, our children will appreciate when we see that they are growing in character.

Thanks for being here! The download link is on it's way.

Download your Character Certificates

The download link is on it's way.

Download your Cheat Sheet

A quick reference to help you discern between a heart attitude and a lack of skill for when your child loses it!

Thanks for being here! Your download link is on its way.

Three things for parents to pray for in the Moment.

Make God your First Response

Print out this parenting reminder to call out to God in the middle of the moment.

I'm excited to share this download with you. Watch your inbox.

Download Grow in Character Worksheets

Download Grow in Character Worksheets

I will email you the download link.

The download link is on it's way.

Download Grow in Character Worksheets

You will receive an email shortly with the details. Watch your inbox.

Thank you for being here - your download link will arrive shortly.

Download Parenting Poster

Download Parenting Poster

Learn to respond to your child in a way that changes their heart.

I will email you the download link.

The download link is on it's way.

Download Parenting Poster

Download Parenting Poster

Learn to respond to your child in a way that changes their heart.

I will email you the download link.

Thank you for being here - your download link will arrive shortly.

Our children hear different words when we react to when we respond. Do your children hear blah blah blah when you correct them? Includes a parenting poster.

Download Parenting Poster

When we Respond instead of React we find a way to deal with the heart not just behaviour.

I will email you the download link.

Thank you for being here - your download link will arrive shortly.

Download Character Lesson Guide

You will receive an email shortly with the details. Watch your inbox.

Thank you for being here - your download link will arrive shortly.

When family relationships get tense - look for the niggles.

Heart Focused Parenting Resource for the Intentional Parent

Your download will arrive in your inbox shortly.

Print it out and use to teach the hearts of your kids.

Thank you for being here - your download link will arrive shortly.

Hearts: Heart focus homeschool

Email Course

Daily emails  (6 days) to help you walk towards being a heart focused homeschool family!

You have joined the email course. Watch your email inbox!

Find ways to Re-engage your Student

Download this checklist and stir your child's curiosity

Watch your Inbox - the Checklist is on it's way!

Stay Heart Focused

When you parent the heart, the tone of your family will change.

Weekly Heart Boost emails with practical and encouraging ideas to be heart focused in all areas of family life.

Thank you for inviting me to be a part of your family journey. I'll be in touch.

FREE Parenting Worksheet

This worksheet will help you move from addressing behaviour to really parenting the heart, one issue at a time.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Parenting Support Library

Join now for extra and regular heart focus family living support.
Weekly emails and bonus content straight to your email inbox.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Become a Better Parent

Personal growth starts with an honest assessment

Thanks for being here! The download link is on it's way.

Give Effective Consequences

Think before you React

Thanks for being here! The download link is on it's way.

Thanks for being here! The download link is on it's way.

One Another Verses

Be Intentional in the Teen Years

Use this Cheat Sheet to remind you of how you can love your teen.

Thanks for being here! The download link is on it's way.

Devotion Response Kit cover

Download your Devotion Response Kit

5 prompts to encourage the heart of your child as they learn to respond to God's Word

Thanks for being here! Your download link is on it's way.

Prepare a Heart focused Christmas

Free email course

Thanks for being here! The download link is on it's way.

Download your copy

Download your copy

Blending Life and Lessons - and start your journey of changing your thinking about education.

Thanks for being here! Your download link is on it's way.

Download: One Another Verses pdf

Download: One Another Verses pdf

Download this list of One Another verses and teach your children how to love others.

Thanks for being here! Your download link is on it's way.

Raising Kids with Character

ATTEND LIVE : FREE PARENTING WORKSHOP

A bonus for Heart Booster readers:  Learn how to teach character to your kids so that they can live their lives making values-based choices.

Live Session:  5th May 2021, 6.30pm AWST

Replay available until 16th May 2021

I'm so excited about this workshop - thanks for joining me!

Raising Kids with Character

REPLAY OPTION : FREE PARENTING WORKSHOP

Replay available from 6th May until 16th May 2021

I'm so excited about this workshop - thanks for joining me!

Raising Kids with Character

WAITLIST

The Raising Kids with Character parenting workshop will be offered again this year - details yet to be confirmed.  Join the waitlist so you don't miss out.

I will keep in you in the loop as soon as decisions have been made!

Join Heart Boost and gain access to de•vot•ed free for 1 month

Connecting everyday living with the Word of God

Thanks for being here! Your download link is on it's way.

Bonus Reading list

Sharing my Homeschool Belief File

Knowing what you believe and why about education and homeschooling helps you make good decisions.

Thanks for being here! Your download link is on it's way.

%d bloggers like this: