Five Minute Friday is a weekly writing challenge and linkup, where you write for 5 minutes on a designated word. Every so often, I find myself with some writing time on Friday – or anytime till end of Sunday – and plan to take this challenge. When I have done this I find that my 5 minutes of writing tends to reflect something that is going on in my life or my general reflections. So I share these short posts with this in mind – this is simply my immediate thoughts when I read this word today.
Funny that I should open up my computer to see what the Five Minute Friday word was, to see if I had something to share or not at this late stage. The word is: Gather.
I have just come back from a gathering – a weekend retreat with the ladies from the Quilting Group. We usually gather once a month to work on whatever project we have underway, but once a year we gather for the weekend. We go to one of the most relaxing spots around – Lake Argyle, an hour drive from our home town.
- We gather because we all enjoy quilting.
- We gather around a few ladies who are experienced and willing to share their knowledge with us.
- We gather to relax and enjoy each other company – and get to know other women.
- We gather in the workshop area in front of rows of sewing machines.
- We gather around food.
- We gather in the beautiful infinity pool.
And yet all good times generally come to an end.
We drove home – chatted all the way.
And when I got home I gathered with my family. Initially we gathered around the dining room table as we caught up with each other’s weekend activities. I showed them my work, they talked about going to the opera, having a friend over for a sleepover, and other projects they worked on.
Then we gathered around the TV and watch a couple of episodes of a TV Show we are watching on DVD. We had to pause it a few times as we caught up with the story line, made our own guesses of who is the ‘bad’ guy and all the clues that led us to that conclusion – but end of the day, we don’t really know, which is why we’ll watch another episode!!
So that was my weekend. As I reflect back I wonder – what were my highlights?
- Certainly, the patchwork – I learnt new skills and was given lots of inspiration
- Chatting over a few cuppas with two of my friends who came as well. We were given a cabin to share so we had some great conversations.
- Talking to people whom I don’t usually meet in my everyday week.
Gathering together with like hearted people is always a rewarding experience!
Linking up with: 5 Minute Friday