I can’t call these my top 10 tips – they are just the things that came to mind today – So I’m calling them my 10 random tips – each of these tips helped my homeschool day in some way.
- Plan time for all your responsibilities not just the homeschooling – make sure you have time for your relationship with God, your relationship with your husband, time to clean house and cook food, time to go shopping and catch up with a friend (even if it is to make a phone call)
- Ask your husband for help – don’t presume he’ll notice what needs to be done and don’t presume he’ll offer – but do presume he is willing. While talking about this – ask your husband for when you really need help, not because you’ve been slack with your responsibilities.
- Have a time each day where everyone spends time alone. Naps, rests, or reading time for everyone. Use this time for rest for yourself – when I was younger I used this time for creative pursuits, these days I’m just as likely to take a nap!
- Don’t plan your lessons too far ahead. I like to plan a week’s worth of lessons, though know where I’m headed in a term.
- Get out and enjoy God’s creation.
- Know what to do on ‘those’ days – you know the days when nothing is going to go according to plan. I used to visit a friend, go to the library, watch a DVD, go to the pool or a nature spot.
- Teach your kids to occupy themselves during the times you are called away – teach them though to drop whatever they are doing the moment you are ready. For my kids, they read a book or play with Lego. These two activities can be done at the desk and don’t need me chasing kids up when I am free to help them.
- Have a place for books, art supplies, kids work and projects that the kids can easily get to. This helps them use these things and put them away.
- Have fun together as a family and don’t make everything about learning – just have fun
- When teaching a life skill tell them what thinking processes goes on in your brain – break it down step by step. Don’t just tell them what to do – tell them the reason why you do things a certain way.
[Tweet “My top tip: have fun as a family and don’t make everything about learning”]
What’s your favourite tip for homeschooling families?
Also sharing and linking with others throughout the week:
Throughout the week I share with one, or more of these blogs (see more details on my Link Parties page)
Mom’s the Word, Mom2Mom, Mummy Mondays, Monday’s Musings, Thoughtful Spot, Mama Monday Musings, Hip Homeschool Moms Blog Hop, Titus 2 Tuesdays, Coffee and Conversation, Finishing Strong (Middle & Highschool years),Women with Intention, Whole Hearted Home, Thriving Thursdays, Hearts for Home, Shine Blog Hop, All things with Purpose, A Little R & R, From House to Home, Fellowship Fridays, Homeschooling Highschool Linkup, Tip Tuesday with Debbie in Shape