I was recently asked for some suggestions of games we play now that our kids are older. Here are the top 10 at the moment – of course, games come and go in favour.
- Sequence – as a family we play in teams
- Dutch Blitz
- Monopoly Deal
- Take two – an adaptation from Scrabble, with no board
- Backgammon (since our trip to Turkey) only for 2 players
- Othello – only for 2 players
- Apples to Apples
- Settlers – Catan (we haven’t played this as a family yet but the kids and their friends love it.)
Not only do we play these games (or most of them) as a family, I love it when the kids pull out a game and play it amongst themselves.
Play Needs to be a Part of a Teenager’s Day: We don’t think in terms of play for teenagers but they need to learn to use their discretionary time wisely – and that will look like play.
How to get your Kids to Hate Math (or Not): The best way to get your kid to hate math is to make it irrelevant though the best way to get them to enjoy math is to make it real.
The Benefit of a Quiet Life: A quiet life gives our children time and opportunity to process and use what they learn.
Throughout the week I share with other blogs – check out my Link ups and Party page