When we think of the word ‘opportunity’ we think of grand things – the opportunity to go on a trip, the opportunity to advance in our career, the opportunity to bring someone to Christ, the opportunity to change the world! And though those opportunities are great, and they do come around, they aren’t the stuff that makes up our every day.
Every day opportunities are much smaller, more mundane. In fact, they are so ordinary we can easily miss them.
In my family I have the opportunity to
- Tell someone they are loved
- Give someone confidence for the very things they were made for
- Encourage someone to step out and take a risk
- Support someone who is doing hard things
- Love someone who has failed
- Teach someone who desires to know
These opportunities come and go and I don’t even think about them – I meet the opportunity, because I am a mother, but I don’t sit and measure them. I don’t wonder if they are a big or small opportunity – they are just what I do. I meet people’s needs.
And yet, because I am taking the time now, to reflect on these opportunities I have to remind myself that they are not mundane, they are not ordinary or tedious. They are the opportunities that build the world – they are the opportunities that will make a difference – at least they will to my loved ones.
- Five Minute Friday is a challenge where you write for 5 minutes on a given topic – the challenge is that there is no editing, over thinking or backtracking before you share on your thoughts on your blog.
The topic for today is “Opportunity.”
If you would like to read what others are sharing about this topic go over to Lisa Jo’s. There is always a variety of thoughts and writing styles.