At the beginning of the year we often start filling our calendar with great stuff – we are full of vigor and fresh vision and we want to get in there and do it all.  Now is a good time to check our routine and our calendars.  Are we being realistic?  Are we being true to the important things?

What are the important things?

• Do we have time to be in God’s presence, and to read His Word?
  • Do we have time to enjoy each other?
  • Do we have time to care for other people?
  • Do we have time to grow in the talents that God has given us

As a parent do you have time to train your children?  Do you have time to build relationship with them.  This means we need to be free to talk to them, get involved in their world and invite them into our world.    Do your children have time to be with your or have you signed them up for too many activities?  Do they have time to be with their siblings or are they too tired from all their activities?

As a homemaker do you have time to cook nutritious and enjoyable meals for your family?  Do you have time to make your house into a home?  Do you have time to teach your children to look after their home and possessions?

As a spouse do you have time for your husband or wife?  Do you have good quality time and energy  for them, or do you only have the left overs (which is really only enough energy to watch a rerun on TV!)

Before the year gets too established have a good look at your routine and see if you have made time for the important things or have you filled in every moment with good ideas?

Over to you:

Is your routine helping you achieve what you want to achieve?  Or does it drain you as you try and keep up?

13 Comments

1. Connie

Hi Belinda- I confess I’ve been a lurker for awhile now. But today I just wanted to say thank you… thanks for the questions…I also confessed that you mercifully stepped on my toes in some areas. I’m taking time to re-evaluate!!!

Blessings on your day,
    Connie

• lifestylehomeschool

Hi Connie – great to hear from a lurker! It does take time to evaluate and then change our habits – change our way of thinking since it is our thinking that directs our habits! I pray that you will find what your family needs.

2. Michael Jones

Very true and so easy to forget sometimes. Thanks so much for the post.
    Michael

3. Quiet Sonbeams

love this post Belinda – hear, hear! I so agree. My word this year is SPACIOUS. I want to live a s.p.a.c.i.o.u.s life. I want to give my children space…that cultivates contentment at home…with time to BE at home and enjoy friendship with their siblings, time and energy to develop hobbies and talents that also cultivate a joy to be at home…to be busy at home with interests that are productive. To have time to prepare lovely meals etc. Terms three and four of last year were crazy. The more I was out, the less I was organised at home and actually happy and peaceful to be at home. This was reflected in the children unsettled habits too. I have been lazy in thoughtful meals, opting for convenience. The guage of a healthy home is if the children and our husbands feel like they are getting the leftovers -literally and emotionally from us as mum and wife. Even when we are not actually “working” mothers.
    I appreciate you linking this on facebook – it grabbed my attention!

• lifestylehomeschool

Hi Barb – thanks for dropping me a line. I love the way you are interpretting spacious – my word is Balance. The idea of giving our family leftovers – every day – is a very challenging one. Keep in touch!

4. GodGirl

This is a really good reminder – we can be a bit overambitious sometimes and forget the fundamentals.

5. irishsignora

Thank you. This is something my husband and I resolved we had to do this year . . . refocusing on home and family, so that we don’t just tell our children what’s important, we show them what our highest priorities are. With our oldest daughter preparing to start kindergarten and her younger sister beginning pre-k, plus one toddler boy and one baby boy, if we don’t get those priorites straightened out now, they’re going to learn by example some very poor lessons about how a family works and prays together. Your post gave me strength and no small amount of reassurance that it’s not just us 😉

• lifestylehomeschool

You are so right… our children will remember what we do – what we make time for. We can say all the right things but really it is our actions that talk. Thanks for dropping by.

6. Trena

“the important things”…. Those things we put on the calendar SEEM important. But like someone else stated, To do this one thing may mean NOT doing something else.
    So then we must decide WHICH is truly the important thing. Maybe staying home and spending time with family is the “important” thing for that time/season.

Found you from #After My Coffee.

• Belinda

Thats so true Trena – when you say yes to one thing you are saying no to something else (another way of saying what you said). Being content in the current season is such a key for staying intentional. Thanks for dropping by.

7. Sarah

Thanks so much for this post. It’s so true. I am in constant need of evaluating my priorities and making sure I’m doing it right. Lovely website- visiting from Coffee and Conversation.

• Belinda

Thanks Sarah. I think when we see that it is important to constantly evaluate what we are doing against our priorities we don’t feel as if we are on a roundabout so much.

Let me know your thoughts...

Do you need help in your Family?

Hi! I’m Belinda

About Me

Belinda and her husband, Peter, live in the far north-west of Australia on a small farm. They have four adult children whom they homeschooled from prep-year 12. Over this time Belinda has taught and supported women both face to face and online. Her heart is to encourage families to be intentional, relational and heart focused in all areas of family living. She continues to do this in her new season of life – as her kids leave home one by one leaving her with more time.

Certified Life Coach
Double check your routine - is it helping you?
Individual Education Planning Worksheets - brainstorming every area of your child's life.

Get your Planning Worksheets

I will email you the download link so you can start looking at all the different spheres of your child's life before you make any curriculum choices.

The download link is on it's way.

An Alternative to Chocolate

An Alternative to Chocolate

Not that I have anything against chocolate - but these jelly beans can help your kids share the message of Jesus, his love, death and resurrection at Easter time.

The download link is on it's way.

Parent Guide: How to make your Family Bible Study Really Work

Family Bible Study is Tricky with all the Different Ages

But there is a way to make this a rich learning and bonding family time.  This Guide includes tips, planning worksheet, and discussion prompts.

Thanks for being here! The download link is on it's way.

Download yourCharacter Certificates

Though true character is driven by internal motivation, our children will appreciate when we see that they are growing in character.

Thanks for being here! The download link is on it's way.

Download your Character Certificates

The download link is on it's way.

Download your Cheat Sheet

A quick reference to help you discern between a heart attitude and a lack of skill for when your child loses it!

Thanks for being here! Your download link is on its way.

Be Intentional

To be an intentional parent means you need to know what you want for your family, and think about how you are going to get there.

Sign up for weekly emails that help you reach your goals for your family.

You have now subscribed and will begin to receive weekly emails.

Three things for parents to pray for in the Moment.

Make God your First Response

Print out this parenting reminder to call out to God in the middle of the moment.

I'm excited to share this download with you. Watch your inbox.

Download Grow in Character Worksheets

Download Grow in Character Worksheets

I will email you the download link.

The download link is on it's way.

Download Grow in Character Worksheets

You will receive an email shortly with the details. Watch your inbox.

Thank you for being here - your download link will arrive shortly.

Download Parenting Poster

Download Parenting Poster

Learn to respond to your child in a way that changes their heart.

I will email you the download link.

The download link is on it's way.

Download Parenting Poster

Download Parenting Poster

Learn to respond to your child in a way that changes their heart.

I will email you the download link.

Thank you for being here - your download link will arrive shortly.

Our children hear different words when we react to when we respond. Do your children hear blah blah blah when you correct them? Includes a parenting poster.

Download Parenting Poster

When we Respond instead of React we find a way to deal with the heart not just behaviour.

I will email you the download link.

Thank you for being here - your download link will arrive shortly.

Download Character Lesson Guide

You will receive an email shortly with the details. Watch your inbox.

Thank you for being here - your download link will arrive shortly.

When family relationships get tense - look for the niggles.

Heart Focused Parenting Resource for the Intentional Parent

Your download will arrive in your inbox shortly.

Print it out and use to teach the hearts of your kids.

Thank you for being here - your download link will arrive shortly.

Hearts: Heart focus homeschool

Email Course

Daily emails  (6 days) to help you walk towards being a heart focused homeschool family!

You have joined the email course. Watch your email inbox!

Find ways to Re-engage your Student

Download this checklist and stir your child's curiosity

Watch your Inbox - the Checklist is on it's way!

Stay Heart Focused

When you parent the heart, the tone of your family will change.

Weekly Heart Boost emails with practical and encouraging ideas to be heart focused in all areas of family life.

Thank you for inviting me to be a part of your family journey. I'll be in touch.

FREE Parenting Worksheet

This worksheet will help you move from addressing behaviour to really parenting the heart, one issue at a time.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Parenting Support Library

Join now for extra and regular heart focus family living support.
Weekly emails and bonus content straight to your email inbox.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Become a Better Parent

Personal growth starts with an honest assessment

Thanks for being here! The download link is on it's way.

Give Effective Consequences

Think before you React

Thanks for being here! The download link is on it's way.

Thanks for being here! The download link is on it's way.

One Another Verses

Be Intentional in the Teen Years

Use this Cheat Sheet to remind you of how you can love your teen.

Thanks for being here! The download link is on it's way.

Devotion Response Kit cover

Download your Devotion Response Kit

5 prompts to encourage the heart of your child as they learn to respond to God's Word

Thanks for being here! Your download link is on it's way.

Prepare a Heart focused Christmas

Free email course

Thanks for being here! The download link is on it's way.

Download your copy

Download your copy

Blending Life and Lessons - and start your journey of changing your thinking about education.

Thanks for being here! Your download link is on it's way.

Download: One Another Verses pdf

Download: One Another Verses pdf

Download this list of One Another verses and teach your children how to love others.

Thanks for being here! Your download link is on it's way.

Raising Kids with Character

ATTEND LIVE : FREE PARENTING WORKSHOP

A bonus for Heart Booster readers:  Learn how to teach character to your kids so that they can live their lives making values-based choices.

Live Session:  5th May 2021, 6.30pm AWST

Replay available until 16th May 2021

I'm so excited about this workshop - thanks for joining me!

Raising Kids with Character

REPLAY OPTION : FREE PARENTING WORKSHOP

Replay available from 6th May until 16th May 2021

I'm so excited about this workshop - thanks for joining me!

Raising Kids with Character

WAITLIST

The Raising Kids with Character parenting workshop will be offered again this year - details yet to be confirmed.  Join the waitlist so you don't miss out.

I will keep in you in the loop as soon as decisions have been made!

Join Heart Boost and gain access to de•vot•ed free for 1 month

Connecting everyday living with the Word of God

Thanks for being here! Your download link is on it's way.

Bonus Reading list

Sharing my Homeschool Belief File

Knowing what you believe and why about education and homeschooling helps you make good decisions.

Thanks for being here! Your download link is on it's way.

%d bloggers like this: