When I was a teenager there was one ‘devotion’ at school that changed my life. Genesis 26:1-35 tells us the story of Isaac and how he walked in his father’s steps and yet he had to dig his own wells. This is a parallel for any kid growing up in a Christian home (as I did). We can follow in our parent’s footsteps – we can be a Christian – and yet we have to dig into God for ourselves.
Though we are aware of the spiritual heritage we have in our family the truth is that regardless of the relationship your parents have with Jesus you have to have a personal relationship with Jesus yourself. As the saying goes: God has no grandchildren.
Has God captured your heart?
The Hebrew word for ‘heart’ is the place, deep inside each of us that makes us tick. It is:
- the inner man, the conscience, the soul
- the mind, the place where we understand, think, reflect and know things
- where we have inclinations and make resolutions to determine our will
- the place where our character springs from
- the seat of our passions and emotions
When you believe in Jesus it affects your whole life. But it has to be your choice!