This week’s Five Minute Friday word is Invite. The idea is to write for 5 minutes and to share it as it is – no edits. This is a journal piece I’ve written to myself, and to others as I know I’m not alone in a desire to connect with people and to build relationships deeper than just ‘hello’.
We are coming towards the end of the year and as I start to reflect on how I went with some of the goals or ideas I had for this year I know that I haven’t done as well with building relationships as I would have liked. I had a few specific goals of hospitality.
- I wanted to catch up with a friend once a week
- I wanted to share a meal with a couple/family once a fortnight
- I wanted to have a Christian-church-in-this-town potluck 4 times in the year
- I wanted to have a Christian-womens night 4 times in the year
I’ve done a little of this over the year – but nowhere near as consistent as I would have liked. As I pondered this week’s 5 Minute Friday word, Invite: I realized that invite is the beginning of welcome, the beginning of friendship.
Unless I issue an invite – the person won’t come. I can have the best of intentions, but unless I put words to the invite our time together won’t happen.
Why no invite?
So why haven’t I done these things? Why haven’t I sent out an invite? For me, I have got caught up in the everyday drama of life. The to do list. The humdrum of busy.
Other reasons people might not issue an invite:
- We are too busy and it slips our mind (as I said, this is my excuse)
- We are too tired
- It is expensive to cook food for another family
- We are too worried about the house being clean or big enough
- We don’t have time or desire to cook a fancy meal
- We are anxious they won’t like us or won’t come
- Husband not on board with the idea of hospitality (in general or with those people in particular)
Most of these excuses need to be addressed head on and with a little creativity we could find workable solutions. If we really want to be a blessing to others and to have meaningful friendships we need to make it happen. No excuses.
Note: this is the end of my 5 minutes of writing – but I need to wrap it up with my plan…
I know it sounds a bit cold and calculated but in order to overcome my distraction with everyday happenings, I am going to do these three things:
- Create space on my calendar for time with a friend
- Create a reminder to give an invite to a friend for a catch up
- Write a list of people I’d like to catch up with
Unless I’m this intentional I won’t see change about to happen.
What could you do to overcome the thing that stops you from giving an invite to a friend – old or new?
If I want people in my life I need to step outside of my comfort zone, outside of my every day already happening life – and send out an invite. That is the first step!
Do you want to be Heart Focused in all you do?
Download your set of Reminder Posters - Printable posters to put around the house to remind you to be relational, intentional and heart focused in all you do. These posters are the heart of this blog.