The scripture that has been the guide for living my life and the foundation for teaching our children has been the command of Jesus: Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and love your neighbour.
It might be a simple command – but it is hard to do. We are to love one another.
I can love my family easily enough – even on tough days there’s enough love in the bank so to speak to cover for those moments. But those people who hurt me, annoy me, frustrate me, those people who I don’t really know, those people – I need to show love to them too.
1 Corinthians 13 is known as the ‘love’ passage – this is what love looks like to God. God’s definition of love is different than mans. Mans is driven by emotion – our emotion. God’s definition involves his presence. God is love – so we can only act like this with God’s love in us.
- Love is long suffering: because of God’s love in me I don’t need to take offense
- Love is kind – because of God’s love in me, I can meet the needs of others – be it emotional, social, physical needs
- Love doesn’t envy – because of God’s love in me I can be grateful for what I have and rejoice with others for what they have
- Love does not boast – because of God’s love in me, I don’t need to promote myself, but instead always look for ways to encourage others
- Love is not proud – because of God’s love in me I can see everyone as important
- Love doesn’t dishonour others – because of God’s love in me I can show respect and consideration to others – I can show good manners, always looking for ways to make others feel loved and comfortable
- Love is not self-seeking – because of God’s love in me I can put aside my desires for the benefit of others – putting others first instead of insisting for my own rights.
- Love is not easily provoked – because of God’s love in me I can control my emotions so not to hurt others
- Love keeps no record of wrongs – because of God’s love in me I can forgive and let it go
- Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth – because of God’s love in me I can we grieve when I see wrong but still speak and act in truth
- Love bears all things – because of God’s love in me I can bear up under anything and everything that comes
- Love believes all things – because of God’s love in me I can believe the best of people
- Love hopes all things – because of God’s love in me I can continue to hope in God regardless of what happens to me
- Love endures all things – because of God’s love in me I can endure everything without weakening my love and trust in God.
When I start to see that it is God’s love in me, enabling me to show God’s love it changes the passage of 1 Corinthians 13 from a list of Do’s – how I must act – to a prayer: God, let your love dwell in me so that I can love others!
I wrote this blog in response to the Tuesday @ Ten prompt: Love.
Throughout the week I share with one, or more of these blogs: