With a busy toddler around it is easy to focus on the teaching and correcting aspects of life but this little person is a blessing in our life and we should enjoy them. We need to enjoy them; enjoy their little quirks, their perspective on life, and enjoy being with them. We can get so focused and exhausted with the power struggles and messes that we forget to see them as little people – they become more like a task than a relationship. These little people have their own personality, their own quirks, their own little responses to life – and if we pause to enjoy and interact with them (as people) they will bring a smile to your face.
Here are some of the day to day moments where we can enjoy toddler:
- Music and dance
- Bath time – I always let my kids splash – it is only water and can be wiped up (why else do we have special water proof features in our bathroom)
- Walk in the garden
- Tickle wars, chasey, clapping and rhyme games (Round and round the Garden, This little Piggy went to Market etc)
- Snuggling together with a book – read with enthusiasm and let them enjoy the pictures or even tell you the story (and yes, you need to read it again, and again, and again!)
- Helping them with a tea party, or caring for a baby, or hunting crocodiles (join in their imagination games)
- Actually get down to their level and engage in a conversation (not mindlessly just agreeing with whatever they chatter about!)
Sometimes this means we have to be intentional and make life stop, so we can spend time doing things that our toddler enjoys, instead of always pulling them along with the things that we are doing or things that we have planned for them. We also need to remember the joy of being spontaneous (you may not find it easy to be spontaneous but your toddler may – and they will appreciate spontaneous moments with you as they grow older, so now is a good time to get into this way of thinking.) We need to have enough margin in our day so that we can simply enjoy being together without always having an eye on the clock.
Have you sat and just enjoyed being together today? It is worth it – not only will it strengthen your relationship it will be a balm to your rushed soul.
You can see the rest of my Living with a Toddler for 31 days series here.
Or find more 31 day series here.