Last week Jessica cleaned my pantry and I have loved it. For many years we’ve had a store-pantry over in the shed. This started so I could do the grocery shop monthly but as my kids have grown older, and our lifestyle has changed I now shop weekly and the store-pantry was getting very inefficient. We would find ourselves with an over abundance of food as I didn’t always check the shed before doing the grocery shop.
So Jessica decided to declutter, re-organise and combine the store-pantry with our regular in the kitchen pantry. As I said, I’m loving it! We have an over abundance of food now in the house and have set ourselves the task to live from the freezer and pantry till we have less of every item!
After just over a week of using a very organised pantry I couldn’t help but think of the benefits:
- It looks better: My kids laugh at me, but apparently I open the pantry doors with a zing, cause I know I’m going to enjoy what I see!
- I get more done: I usually baulk at putting the groceries away, but this week it was easy. Everything had its place (mind you I didn’t have to buy much, but those things that I did have to buy – had its place ready)
- I can find things – which means I’m not buying double – it was easy to check what I had before I went shopping
- Kids can find things – not only can they find their snacks and lunch items which is helping them eat a variety, but they can see if we have a replacement item or not which gives them no excuse to keep the shopping list up to date.
- It saves money – not only because we have the back up of supplies to live off now, but ultimately we will only buy what we need, reducing wastage with things going out of date.
- We are being creative – I don’t know if this one will last or not, but for the moment we are being creative because we are trying to find meals that come from our stock pile and only buying the very minimum. I guess we can do this whenever we see our supplies creeping up to an excess.
Last week I read a post on the Reasons Why I Make my Bed Everyday – and oddly enough many of the benefits are the same. So now that my pantry is organised, my next challenge is to go and make my bed everyday and enjoy those benefits as well!