At the moment we are studying “Communicating with Technology” and I’m hoping to continue to share a sketch of our lesson plans. Today was day 3. We looked at our character trait but didn’t get to do any “Safety Online” lesson because of sickness and I needed time to pack to travel tomorrow. But this is what we did do:
Character: Using the book Power for True Success I found another definition that I liked –
Discernment is the ability to distinguish between good and evil, in order to make wise decisions.
We read a portion of the section about Discernment in Power for True Success which talked about Solomon asking God – “give therefore thy servant an understanding heart … that I may discern between good and bad” 1 Kings 3:9
We discussed that we ‘discern’ by using our senses: our eyes, ears, nose, tongue, hands, mind and heart. Which lead nicely into a discussion on the conscience and listening to the warnings, promptings and encouragements of our heart (conscience).
Media Studies #5
Because of sickness we didn’t do a “Safety online” session but instead I’ve set the assignment for the kids to tidy up their Pinterest boards and link them to their blogs (if they want to). Their Pinterest boards communicate(at the moment) their likes and personal tastes.
What the kids put on their blog is their choice, my requirement is that they update their blog weekly.
This blog post from Teachbytes on Pinterest has inspired me as I’ve tried to see using Pinterest for more than craft.
A blog post about Pinterest without a Pin wouldn’t be much of a post! So here is a link to Pinterest for Teachers – dig around, I’m sure you’ll find something inspiring.
I have two boards (though I don’t spend a lot of time on Pinterest)
- Lifestyle Homeschool – where I am slowly building up pins on all things homeschool and discipleship
- Belinda – where I pin things beyond homeschooling
Media Studies #6
For the rest of the session Naomi became familiar with the Duke of Edinburg website as she starts to plan working with this project. There was a lot to take in, a lot of links to consider as well as creating an account with personal details and answering an online questionnaire. It is these types of opportunities that we have to capture for our kids so they can use technology in their Real Life not just in class.
Other technology that was used today in our house:
- Buying music from online and sync music to device
- Consider emptying a hard-drive to an external hard-drive
- Purchase of a Kindle e-book (recharge the kindle)
- Downloading digital scrapbook supplies
- Recharge our internet dongle
- Send text messages and phone calls to organise a play date
- DVD player, laptops, desktop,
- Photocopier, laminator
It is surprising to see how much we use digital technology / media. It would be a good exercise for parents to take note of the everyday technology they use and ask if their children know how to use that particular technology.
- Communicating with Technology (our next unit of study) (livelifewithyourkids.wordpress.com)
- Communicating with Technology Day 2 (livelifewithyourkids.wordpress.com)