I didn’t have the opportunity to learn to swim till I was around 11 years old, and then it took me 2-3 seasons before I learnt to dive. Swimming was easy, diving was hard! This is a good lesson for me to remember when I teach my kids different things.
With my four kids diving to one of them is really hard, and yet to another it came so naturally they didn’t even know they were diving! Each of us will find some things easy, some things hard. Some things will come so naturally we won’t have to think about it, some things will require lots of instruction and practice.
These situations need a teacher/parent with character. We need to show:
- Patience, to keep instructing and encouraging without insisting that they get it now
- Gentleness in our tone, always showing our love and acceptance regardless of their success
- Order in our instructions so we don’t overwhelm them
- Self Control so we know when they’ve had enough and we need to stop and revisit our lessons another day
I wonder what are the things that my kids are struggling with?
Am I being a gracious teacher? Am I remembering it was hard to learn to dive?
- Five Minute Friday is a challenge where you write for 5 minutes on a given topic – the challenge is that there is no editing, over thinking or backtracking before you share on your thoughts on your blog.
The topic for today is “Dive.”
If you would like to read what others are sharing about this topic go over to Lisa Jo’s. There is always a variety of thoughts and writing styles.