I don’t write on behalf of Character First –I am simply a mum who loves what their resources has done in our family.
Last week I wrote how we use Character First in our family – but it raised a few questions about different Character First products. So I’ve written a collection of posts outlining content and use of the different resources. If I’ve missed any please let me know and I’ll add to it.
For the Christian
Character First is a Christian organisation that is committed to producing materials for every sphere of the community. To this end they have material for the family, education, business and for Christians. Their mission is to serve the community, to help and encourage them in good character – and though they do not use the Bible in these presentations/lessons/materials they build relationship with people and this opens doors for the gospel.
The education and business applications do not use the Bible which is why it is really important to study the Power for True Success (the resource for the Christian). I also use CharacterJournal to look for Bible verses, stories and examples.
Character First Australia has produced a Sunday School resource for Series 1 traits and in a sense have done all that prep work for you. Though the original vision was for Sunday School it is perfect for homeschool families who want to spend lesson time interacting with these ideas. I have not used this material as it is a recent addition but I am very excited about it and may well include it in our family discussions.
Each lesson contains large group and small group though as a family I would do this all together anyways. For each trait your lessons will include:
- Definition – the teacher has prompts to include a Christian based emphasis.
- Scripture memorisation with actions and discussion guides
- Memory work which is the same as the Primary Teachers Binder
- 5 I will statements – also the same as Primary Teachers Binder though the words for the teacher to say are connected to Bible story
- Bible stories and discussion guides
- Nature story (the guide directs you back to the Primary Teachers Binder or you could use the Teachers Training DVD which tells this story)
- Activities, Games, Quizes, Worksheets, Journal prompts
- Real life situations that children will find themselves in, where they need to make character based decisions. These are fantastic discussion prompts.
Each lesson is outlined, takes between 1-2 hours (of course this can be tweaked easily enough in a family situation), it is clearly set out so the teacher/parent can easily see what they need to say and how they can involve the children.
This is an exciting product and I hope they are working on series 2, 3,and 4!