At the beginning of the year we often start filling our calendar with great stuff – we are full of vigor and fresh vision and we want to get in there and do it all.  Now is a good time to check our routine and our calendars.  Are we being realistic?  Are we being true to the important things?

What are the important things?

• Do we have time to be in God’s presence, and to read His Word?
  • Do we have time to enjoy each other?
  • Do we have time to care for other people?
  • Do we have time to grow in the talents that God has given us

As a parent do you have time to train your children?  Do you have time to build relationship with them.  This means we need to be free to talk to them, get involved in their world and invite them into our world.    Do your children have time to be with your or have you signed them up for too many activities?  Do they have time to be with their siblings or are they too tired from all their activities?

As a homemaker do you have time to cook nutritious and enjoyable meals for your family?  Do you have time to make your house into a home?  Do you have time to teach your children to look after their home and possessions?

As a spouse do you have time for your husband or wife?  Do you have good quality time and energy  for them, or do you only have the left overs (which is really only enough energy to watch a rerun on TV!)

Before the year gets too established have a good look at your routine and see if you have made time for the important things or have you filled in every moment with good ideas?

13 Comments

1. Connie

Hi Belinda- I confess I’ve been a lurker for awhile now. But today I just wanted to say thank you… thanks for the questions…I also confessed that you mercifully stepped on my toes in some areas. I’m taking time to re-evaluate!!!

Blessings on your day,
    Connie

• lifestylehomeschool

Hi Connie – great to hear from a lurker! It does take time to evaluate and then change our habits – change our way of thinking since it is our thinking that directs our habits! I pray that you will find what your family needs.

2. Michael Jones

Very true and so easy to forget sometimes. Thanks so much for the post.
    Michael

3. Quiet Sonbeams

love this post Belinda – hear, hear! I so agree. My word this year is SPACIOUS. I want to live a s.p.a.c.i.o.u.s life. I want to give my children space…that cultivates contentment at home…with time to BE at home and enjoy friendship with their siblings, time and energy to develop hobbies and talents that also cultivate a joy to be at home…to be busy at home with interests that are productive. To have time to prepare lovely meals etc. Terms three and four of last year were crazy. The more I was out, the less I was organised at home and actually happy and peaceful to be at home. This was reflected in the children unsettled habits too. I have been lazy in thoughtful meals, opting for convenience. The guage of a healthy home is if the children and our husbands feel like they are getting the leftovers -literally and emotionally from us as mum and wife. Even when we are not actually “working” mothers.
    I appreciate you linking this on facebook – it grabbed my attention!

• lifestylehomeschool

Hi Barb – thanks for dropping me a line. I love the way you are interpretting spacious – my word is Balance. The idea of giving our family leftovers – every day – is a very challenging one. Keep in touch!

4. GodGirl

This is a really good reminder – we can be a bit overambitious sometimes and forget the fundamentals.

5. irishsignora

Thank you. This is something my husband and I resolved we had to do this year . . . refocusing on home and family, so that we don’t just tell our children what’s important, we show them what our highest priorities are. With our oldest daughter preparing to start kindergarten and her younger sister beginning pre-k, plus one toddler boy and one baby boy, if we don’t get those priorites straightened out now, they’re going to learn by example some very poor lessons about how a family works and prays together. Your post gave me strength and no small amount of reassurance that it’s not just us 😉

• lifestylehomeschool

You are so right… our children will remember what we do – what we make time for. We can say all the right things but really it is our actions that talk. Thanks for dropping by.

6. Trena

“the important things”…. Those things we put on the calendar SEEM important. But like someone else stated, To do this one thing may mean NOT doing something else.
    So then we must decide WHICH is truly the important thing. Maybe staying home and spending time with family is the “important” thing for that time/season.

Found you from #After My Coffee.

• Belinda

Thats so true Trena – when you say yes to one thing you are saying no to something else (another way of saying what you said). Being content in the current season is such a key for staying intentional. Thanks for dropping by.

7. Sarah

Thanks so much for this post. It’s so true. I am in constant need of evaluating my priorities and making sure I’m doing it right. Lovely website- visiting from Coffee and Conversation.

• Belinda

Thanks Sarah. I think when we see that it is important to constantly evaluate what we are doing against our priorities we don’t feel as if we are on a roundabout so much.

Any thoughts?

Throughout the week I share with other blogs – check out my Link ups and Party page

ADD MEDIA

Download your worksheet and start working on your family vision statement.

Get the Family Vision Worksheet

I will email you the download link.

The download link is on it's way.

Individual Education Planning Worksheets - brainstorming every area of your child's life.

Get your Planning Worksheets

I will email you the download link so you can start looking at all the different spheres of your child's life before you make any curriculum choices.

The download link is on it's way.

Get a copy of the Jelly Bean Story

I will email you a download link.  You can print and share this story with your kids and their friends.

The download link is on it's way.

This parent guide helps parents plan family bible study and use discussion techniques to teach the important lessons.

Bible study Guide for Parents

Guide includes tips, planning worksheet, and discussion prompts. I will email you a download link.

Thanks for being here! The download link is on it's way.

Obedience looks a bit different as our kids grow older. Download this parent/teen discussion guide to understand this issue of obedience in teen years.

Download your Free Discussion Guide

Don't assume your kids are rebelling - instead talk to them about what Obedience looks like now they are older.  I will email you a download link.

Thanks for being here! The download link is on it's way.

Download yourCharacter Certificates

Though true character is driven by internal motivation, our children will appreciate when we see that they are growing in character.

Thanks for being here! The download link is on it's way.

Download your Character Certificates

The download link is on it's way.

Over 20 different verbal expressions divided into heart or self control to help parents discern these behaviours.

Download your Cheat Sheet

I will send you the link to download this cheat sheet that will help you discern between a heart attitude and a lack of skill.

Thanks for being here! The download link is on it's way.

Download Grow in Character Worksheets

Download Grow in Character Worksheets

I will email you the download link.

The download link is on it's way.

Download Grow in Character Worksheets

You will receive an email shortly with the details. Watch your inbox.

Thank you for being here - your download link will arrive shortly.

Download Parenting Poster

Download Parenting Poster

Learn to respond to your child in a way that changes their heart.

I will email you the download link.

The download link is on it's way.

Download Parenting Poster

Download Parenting Poster

Learn to respond to your child in a way that changes their heart.

I will email you the download link.

Thank you for being here - your download link will arrive shortly.

Our children hear different words when we react to when we respond. Do your children hear blah blah blah when you correct them? Includes a parenting poster.

Download Parenting Poster

When we Respond instead of React we find a way to deal with the heart not just behaviour.

I will email you the download link.

Thank you for being here - your download link will arrive shortly.

Free email course -

6 days straight to your inbox!

Plan a Christmas that touches the heart of your family.

Thank you for being here - you will receive an email shortly.

Make your Christmas a Heart Focus Christmas

Make your Christmas a Heart Focus Christmas

6 Day free email course

Success! You will receive an email shortly. (You never know which folder emails will land in so keep an eye out for my "Thank you" email.) Stay in touch... Belinda - Live life with your Kids!

Pin It on Pinterest