I have been reviewing my “current challenge” – it is my way of setting short-term goals. I feel that what I set in September are still my goals for now and the next few months but I also feel I have some more flesh on them. So I rewrite My current challenge….
- I need to take control of Daniel’s mornings – right from the start. This will include mat play time (I am hoping to pull out a set of toys for him the night before) plus a hands on type activity for when he has finished his chores but waiting for the others to finish theirs so they can all go outside and play.
- I need to find a realistic time slot for Nomi and Daniel’s personal devotional time with me. Both of them are showing indicators of growth in their spiritual lives. I need to help them grow.
- Monday mornings I need to have as Conference Time with Josh and Jess to discuss their week’s assignments and goals – this will especially cover their history, science and life training.
- Daniel’s afternoon routine also needs a tightening revamp. Changes in our routine will give him his computer time straight after lunch and before his reading and room time. I am hoping that this will help him be ready to be productive / active after his rest time instead of just wanting computer. Nomi will join with Daniel for one afternoon activity with the goal of improving their relationship.
- Table time has to change. The children will be able to have table time after their 5.00pm chores but before dinner if there is time. Table time after dinner will be reduced to special occasions only. Bed times need to be improved and encouraging reading after dinner will help this.
- I want to be able to get to the pool twice a week, library once a week (or fortnightly if I am short on time). The kids (including Josh) will help with the grocery shopping (which means I have to be organised with shopping lists for them to work with)
- The older kids have 3-5 hours a week where they can work on their projects (discretionary time). This will be increased if they use their “free” time on projects as well.
- I want to start having some one-on-one time with the kids after dinner while the other kids do the kitchen. This will rotate daily through the week. This is the one goal that will take the most self-discipline to introduce.
In summary my goals are:
1. To help Daniel focus, stimulate his imagination so he is more creative in his play, help him use his time productively.
2. To encourage Nomi and Daniel’s relationship.
3. To move Josh and Jess through their work by setting goals and seeing them achieved. More accountability in their schoolwork.
4. To have one on one time with each child regularly.